Friday, February 22, 2013
Firefighters were called to Linwood Avenue in Ardmore around 3:30 a.m. Friday.
Two occupants of a Linwood Avenue home suffered minor injuries in a house fire early Friday morning, according to Merion Fire Company of Ardmore Assistant Chief Tony Van Dyke. At 3:30 a.m. Friday, Merion Fire Company was dispatched to a home on the 200 block of Linwood Avenue in Ardmore for a building fire, Van Dyke said in an email: Upon arrival crews found fire and smoke showing from the first floor, with all of the occupants evacuated from the house. Crews went into service on the first floor and quickly extinguished a fire in a first floor office area. Crews opened up the walls and ceilings in the fire area to check for extension and overhauled the fire area. The fire was placed under control in 20 minutes and companies left the scene…
Friday, December 21, 2012
The violent explosions caused an extended loss of power, Fire Chief Tom Hayden said.
An underground transformer explosion caused a widespread loss of power Friday afternoon in Ardmore, according to Merion Fire Co. Chief Tom Hayden. Ardmore firefighters were called to Cricket Ave. and E Athens Ave. Friday morning at 9:30 on the report of smoke coming from the manholes, Hayden said. Ten minutes later, "a series of violent underground explosions occurred." Firefighters evacuated four apartment buildings and several stores in the vicinity. The explosions caused an extended loss of power in the area, Hayden said, and the street was closed for PECO to work to restore power. The attached photos of the incident are courtesy of Merion Fire Co. of Ardmore.
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
No injuries were reported.
A truck fire occurred around 10 a.m. Tuesday morning on the 200 block of E Athens Avenue in Ardmore, according to Tony Van Dyke, assistant fire chief at Merion Fire Company of Ardmore, which responded to the fire. When firefighters arrived on location, Van Dyke said, "they found a truck in the driveway well involved in fire. Firefighters made quick work of extinguishing the fire." No injuries were reported, according to Van Dyke.
Monday, November 5, 2012
Items can be dropped off at the Merion Fire Company of Ardmore Monday through Wednesday.
In the wake of Hurricane Sandy, the Merion Fire Company of Ardmore and the Ardmore Rotary Club are teaming up to deliver two trucks of supplies to the Toms River Fire Department and Seaside Heights Fire Department in New Jersey. The organizations are requesting donations from local residents. "We have a specific fire department chief at the other end who has graciously accepted our offer for help and truly needs it," the informational flier states. Non-perishable foods, batteries, baby care items, Visa gift cards, cleaning supplies and safety glasses are some of the items needed. A full list of requested items is attached to this article. Donations can be dropped off at Merion Fire Co. (35 Greenfield Ave. in Ardmore) on: Two trucks of …
Saturday, October 13, 2012
Advance registration is required.
Residents ages 65+ can register to receive a free flu shot on Tuesday at the Merion Fire Company of Ardmore, according to a Lower Merion Township news release. The release is reprinted below: Adults ages 65 and older can take advantage of free flu shots that will be offered on Tuesday, October 23, 2012. From 1 to 3 p.m. at the Merion Fire Company of Ardmore, 35 Greenfield Avenue in Ardmore, senior citizens are invited to participate in this program affiliated with Bryn Mawr Hospital's Community Health Services Department. Main Line Health will assist in pre-registration and paperwork. Advance registration is required: only 50 vaccine shots are available. Call 1-866-CALL-MLH (or 1-866-2255-654) for more information.
Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Merion Fire Co. of Ardmore Chief Tom Hayden was hospitalized Friday night following a fire in Villanova.
Merion Fire Company of Ardmore Chief Tom Hayden is still hospitalized, following his rescue of a 102-year-old woman from a smoke-filled Villanova home on Friday night. On Friday, the Merion Fire Co. of Ardmore was called to assist in a fire at 2231 N. Stone Ridge Lane in Villanova, following reports that residents were possibly trapped inside. Hayden arrived on the scene in his own vehicle. A large kitchen fire had caused heavy smoke throughout the house, and a 102-year-old resident was trapped in a rear bedroom, according to Tony Van Dyke, Merion Fire Co. assistant fire chief. Another resident was trying to help the woman escape the home. Hayden helped the two residents out of the burning home; a third resident was already outside on the …
Wednesday, June 13, 2012
The Main Line Chamber Foundation awarded scholarships to 24 volunteer firefighters and EMTs on June 12.
Twenty-four volunteer firefighters and emergency medical technicians were honored Tuesday night at the Main Line Chamber Foundation's "Hometown Heroes" Scholarship Awards Ceremony. The awards ceremony, now in its third year, honors students who are selflessly volunteering their time and energy to give back to the community. Among this year's award recipients are Chris Canazzi of Merion Fire Company of Ardmore and Gladwyne Fire Company, Katherine Smith and Rachal Torg, VMSC of Narberth & Lower Merion, and Daniel Szallasi, VMSC of Lower Merion. Also honored was Drew Kopicki, a Penn Wynne Fire Company volunteer and one of two recipients of the $2,500 Thomas J. Hays Memorial Scholarship. View the photo gallery above for a few images from the …
Thursday, June 7, 2012
The stovetop fire was put out before fire officials arrived.
Part of Ardmore Avenue was shut down near School House Lane around 2:20 p.m. on June 7 as Merion Fire Company of Ardmore responded to a small residential fire. The small stovetop fire was put out before the fire company arrived, a fire official said. The road was cleared by about 2:40 p.m.
Friday, May 4, 2012
The fire began on top of the stove on early Friday morning, Lower Merion Fire Chief Chas McGarvey said.
Two Ardmore families were displaced following a fire in the early hours of Friday morning. The fire, which occured at 58 E Spring Ave. in Ardmore, started on top of the stove, Lower Merion Fire Chief Chas McGarvey said. Units from Merion Fire Company of Ardmore, Bryn Mawr Fire Company, Penn Wynne Fire Company and Gladwyne Fire Company responded to the fire at 4:11 a.m. on Friday. The site was cleared by 6:06 a.m., McGarvey said. While everyone exited the home safely, a family of four with two young children and another family of three, who lived upstairs, were displaced due to the fire. The Red Cross was contacted to assist the families, McGarvey said.
Monday, January 30, 2012
The Linwood Avenue blaze started in a bedroom.
Responding to a report of a house fire in Ardmore early Monday morning, the Merion Fire Co. of Ardmore, assisted by the Penn Wynne-Overbrook Hills Fire Co., quickly controlled a bedroom fire on the second floor of a home on the 200 block of Linwood Avenue, officials said. No injuries were reported, and the cause of the blaze was under investigation. The Narberth Volunteer Fire Co., Narberth Ambulance, Union Fire Association and the air / light unit from the Gladwyne Fire Co. also responded, standing by if needed. All companies were back in service within 90 minutes.