It's a weekend of culture in Ardmore, with opportunities to dance the night away at Zydeco, learn about Jane Austen from an Austen expert at , enjoy Italian arias while supporting the Philadelphia Boys Choir right here in Merion, or enjoy a play at Lower Merion or Harriton High School. Don't even try to tell us you're bored.
- When/Where: Friday, Nov. 18. Dance lesson at 7:30 p.m., band places 8:30 p.m. to midnight, at , 2632 E County Line Rd, Ardmore.
- Why Go: Get your groove on with "Zydeco sweetheart" Rosie. Not sure you know how? Show up early for the dance lesson at 7:30 p.m., then dance the night away. is sponsoring a canned food drive to benefit Aid For Friends, so bring donations to the dance on Friday if you can.
- Cost: $20
- When/Where: Saturday, Nov. 19 at 2 p.m. at the Ardmore Library (108 Ardmore Avenue)
- Why Go: Meet Margaret C. Sullivan, editrix of AustenBlog.com, creator of Mollands.net, and author of The Jane Austen Handbook: Proper Life Skills from Regency England. Sullivan will discuss Austen and her family life, and how that affected her writing.
- Cost: Free. Call the Ardmore Library to register.
- When/Where: Saturday, Nov. 19 from 6:30 to 10 p.m. at the , 625 Hazelhurst Ave., Merion Station
- Why Go: Support the Philadelphia Boys Choir by joining alum and friends of the choir for a musical evening, which includes Italian arias and traditional songs. The event will include a silent and live auction, wine and hors d'oeurvres and gourmet dinner.
- Cost: Tickets are $125 per person and include complimentary parking and a raffle ticket to win an iPad. For every six tickets purchased, receive an additional chance to win the iPad.
- When/Where: Thursday, Nov. 17 through Sunday, Nov. 20. Thursday through Saturday at 7 p.m., Sunday at 6 p.m., with Saturday matinee at 2 p.m., at auditorium
- Why Go: "In almost non-stop song and dance, the show tells the story of Ti Moune, a peasant girl who rescues and falls in love with Daniel, a wealthy boy from the other side of her island. When Daniel is returned to his people, the fantastical gods who rule the island guide Ti Moune on a quest to test the strength of her love against the powerful forces of prejudice, hatred and death."
- Cost: $10 adults, $8 seniors, $5 student/child
- When/Where: Thursday through Saturday, Nov. 17 through 19, at 7 p.m. in 's lovely new auditorium
- Why Go: How To Succeed tells the story of an ambitious window washer, J. Pierrepont Finch, who works to climb the corporate ladder armed with a How To book. The musical is currently on Broadway, with Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe playing J. Pierrepont Finch. The musical premiered on Broadway in 1961 and was revived in 1995 with Matthew Broderick as the star, then revived again in 2011. Now, it comes to Lower Merion High, and will be the first musical in the high school's new auditorium. (Read my , and look for a review of the show in the next day or two.)
- Cost: $10 adults, $5 students/seniors
Have something you want included in a future Get Out column? Email Amanda at firstname.lastname@example.org.