Editor's note: This story has been updated to reflect that Oktoberfest is now a rain-or-shine event.
Here's hoping the rain stays away this weekend, because there are a lot of fun, free outdoor events in and around Ardmore on Friday and Saturday.
On Friday night, start your night off by heading to Athens Avenue and noshing on some delicious barbeque ribs or fried chicken from LMVUE. Then, walk to Linwood Park. You can either come early and learn about some plants with Lower Merion Township's Chris Leswing, or if you opt for a later dinner, head straight to the outdoor showing of "Megamind."
On Saturday, head to PALM's flea market, which features clothes, jewelry, homemade crafts and more. Or hit Ocktoberfest (showers are in the forecast, but it's rain-or-shine—and who knows, maybe it'll spill over into Sunday).
Also, there are some don't-wanna-miss-it activities in Bryn Mawr this weekend, too. The Harriton House Plantation Fair is on Saturday, and on Sunday night at Bryn Mawr Film Institute, for $20 you can watch writer/director Kevin Smith's new movie, "Red State" ... and then Skype with him.
- When/Where: 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 23 at Household of Faith Deliverance Church, 130 Athens Ave. in Ardmore
- Why Go: Enjoy some delicious food—including BBQ ribs, fried chicken and cornbread—while supporting the Lower Merion Voices United for Equity in Education. Vegetarian and kids meals available too. All proceeds go towards helping the legal expenses of Students Doe.
- Cost: $10 per plate, vegetarian and kids meals available for $5 per plate.
- When/Where: 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 23 at
- Why Go: Lower Merion Township employee Chris Leswing will lead a tour of Linwood Park and teach about the park's plants.
- Cost: Free
- When/Where: Around 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 23 at Linwood Park (the movie begins at dark)
- Why Go: Bring a lawn chair or blanket to Linwood Park this Friday and watch the family-friendly movie "Megamind," thanks to Community of Faith 6:8 and Friends of Linwood Park. The movie is a 2010 Dreamworks release featuring the voices of Will Ferrell, Tina Fey and Brad Pitt.
- Cost: Free
- When/Where: 9 a.m to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 24 at 117 Ardmore Ave., Ardmore (PALM is the Center for Positive Aging in Lower Merion)
- Why Go: Get great deals on clothes, jewelry, and handmade goods created by PALM members at this flea market benefiting the Center for Positive Aging in Lower Merion. Baked goods and light lunch will also be available for a small cost.
- Cost: Free
- When/Where: 12 to 8 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 24 on Cricket Avenue in Ardmore, in between Cricket Terrace and W. Athens Ave. (Rain or shine.)
- Why Go: Celebrate Oktoberfest—with a "k"—with German bands, German beer and German food. There's stuff to keep the kids busy too, like face painting, games and prizes. The event is sponsored by McCloskey’s, Gillane’s Tavern, and John Henry’s Pub of Ardmore.
- Cost: Free to get in.
- When/Where: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 24 at
- Why Go: Harriton House's annual fair features crafts, antiques, sheep herding, pony rides, historic house tours, children's games, hawks and some old-timey sights, like muskets and soldiers, blacksmiths, stone carvers, cabinetmakers, spinners and weavers. Enjoy some bluegrass music and colonial songs while browsing a flea market, a silent auction and more. All proceeds benefit Harriton House's continued operation.
- Cost: Free
- When/Where: 6 pm. to 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 24 at McMoran Park, 154 Mary Waters Ford Road, Bala Cynwyd
- Why Go: Hang out with live animals, explore nature, do a scavenger hunt and more at Riverbend's Family Fun Night.
- Cost: $10/family. Pre-registration required: contact Stacy Carr-Poole at 610-527-5234 x108 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When/Where: 10 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 25 at
- Why Go: Watch a screening of director Kevin Smith's latest film, Red State. Afterwards, participate in a question-and-answer session with Smith via Skype.
- Cost: $20