With Hanukkah and Christmas both falling this weekend, not too much is happening in Ardmore—but here are our picks for the weekend, including an exhibition at Case Gallery, Hanukkah party in Wynnewood, and family-style Spanish holiday meal at Verdad. Or, head to Media to see a performance of A Christmas Carol. Check out the calendar for a full listing of Christmas and Hanukkah celebrations happening on Saturday and Sunday in the area, and have a safe and happy holiday!
Holiday Lights Around Ardmore
- When/Where: Throughout Ardmore, Merion and Wynnewood, from dusk onward.
- Why Go: We've some holiday lights in the area, but isn't it more fun to pack the family into the van and go see them for yourself? Or grab mittens and hot chocolate and take a walk through your neighborhood for some winter magic.
- Cost: Free
- When/Where: Now through Dec. 31 at Case Gallery in Ardmore, 14 W. Lancaster Ave.
- Why Go: This special holiday exhibition at Case Gallery featuring local artists: Theresa Sinkowitsch, Ann Marie Casey, Shimon Braun, Charles Burrus, Joanne DeMartino, Jimmy James and Jennifer Greenberg.
- Cost: Donation to featured non-profit.
- When/Where: Saturday, Dec. 23 at 7:30 p.m. at , 200 Haverford Rd., Wynnewood
- Why Go: Enjoy latkes, sufganoyiot, salads and more. Plus, BYOI (bring your own instrument if you have one!).
- Cost: $5 per person or $20 per family max.
- When/Where: Saturday, Dec. 24 from 4 to 8 p.m. at Verdad
- Why Go: Don't feel like cooking on Christmas Eve, especially with the in-laws in town? Enjoy a delicious family-style menu, inspired by traditional Spanish holiday cuisine, at Verdad on Saturday night. Seats are available beginning at 4 p.m., so even grandma can stay awake through the whole meal. Maybe.
- Cost: $35 per person
- When/Where: Showings all weekend, Friday, Dec. 23 through Sunday, Dec. 25, at Bryn Mawr Film Institute
- Why Go: In case you need to get out of the house this weekend, Bryn Mawr Film Institute will not be featuring any special showings, but The Artist and The Descendants will be playing Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Check the website for the full schedule.
- Cost: $10 general admission
- Where/When: Friday, Dec. 22 at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, Dec. 23 at 4 p.m. at , Media
- Why Go: If you missed Narberth's Dickens Festival last weekend, or just can't get enough of Scrooge, check out Dickens' classic tale, along with your favorite carols, performed by a large, multi-generational cast.
- Cost: $37
And for those of us that get a break in between Christmas and New Years:
- When/Where: Wednesday, Dec. 28 from 8 to 10:15 p.m. at in Merion.
- Why Go: Try something a little different to break up the winter blues this upcoming Wednesday, with the Germantown Country Dancers at Merion Friends. No partners are needed, and beginners are welcome. Wear flat shoes and if you want a lesson, arrive by 7:30 p.m. for an orientation to basic dance figures.
- Cost: $7 general, full-time students half price. No charge for first timers.
And happy holidays, from Patch.