Are you looking for something to do this weekend? Check out these great local events.
Fair Trade - Alternative Giving Fair 2012
- When: Saturday, Nov. 10 from 6 - 7 p.m. and Sunday, Nov. 11 from 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Where: St. Thomas of Villanova, Rosemont Auditorium, 1229 E Lancaster Ave, Bryn Mawr
- Why Go: Shop for fairly traded crafts, pashimas, scarves, exquisite jewelry from around the world, chocolates, coffee as well as crafts from El Salvador, Haiti, Peru, Mexico and the African continent. All proceeds go back to the artisans. Celebrate the holiday with the gift that gives in three ways: to the recipient of the gift, to the producer of the item, and to one who needs livestock or seeds to survive.
- Cost: Free
Narberth Community Theater Presents WHITE CHRISTMAS
- When: November 9, 10, 16 & 17 - 2012 at 8 PM and November 11 & 18 - 2012 at 2 PM
- Where: Narberth Community Theater, lower level of the United Methodist Church
- Why Go: Enjoy Christmas in November with The Narberth Community Theatre. This weekend the theater will present its fall musical, the wonderful Irving Berlin classic "White Christmas".
- Cost: $14-$17
- When: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 1:30 p.m.
- Where: Lower Merion High School Auditorium
- Why Go: Dr. Laurence Steinberg, one of the world’s leading authorities on adolescence, will discuss what the latest research is telling us about the adolescent brain, how this will help us better understand adolescent behavior, and what the implications are for how we raise and teach our teenagers. Following the presentation, audience members will have the opportunity to break up into smaller groups led by district administrators to discuss these issues further. Babysitting is available.
- Cost: Free
Junior Craft Fair
- When: Saturday, Nov. 10 at 2 p.m.
- Where: Penn Wynne Library, 130 Overbrook Pkwy, Wynnewood
- Why Go: Come by and see all the amazing things our crafters under the age of 16 have created. Now's the time to buy a unique gift for the holidays!
- Cost: Free
- When: Saturday, Nov. 10 at 2:30 p.m.
- Where: International House Philadelphia, 3701 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia
- Why Go: Sarovar Banka, raised in Narberth and a 1998 graduate of Episcopal Academy, will be screening his film, A Decent Arrangement, on Saturday afternoon as part of The Philadelphia Asian American Film Festival. Variety described Banka's film as "Vivid, surprisingly accomplished... version of the cross cultural romantic comedy... a wry twist on cultural confusion."
- Cost: $8, Students and Seniors $6
- When: Saturday, Nov. 10 at 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Crowne Plaza Hotel, 4010 City Avenue, Philadelphia
- Why Go: 'What do you know?' Come find out and have fun while
supporting the Education Foundation's mission of enhancing the excellence of Lower Merion public schools. The night features dinner, open beer and wine bar, a silent auction and of course - the trivia contest!
- Cost: $75