The holidays are a time when many people are stressed with additional pressures of family, friends and general holiday preparations, lowering resistance.
People are traveling, shopping and gathering in large numbers, increasing their exposure to germs.
The best way to fight the flu, according to Flu.gov, is to get the flu shot.
Beyond that, Flu.gov has some tips to to stay healthy this holiday season:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- Practice good health habits. Get plenty of sleep and exercise, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat healthy food.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.