After closing last Thursday evening for the last time, the Wynnewood Shopping Center Genuardi's will officially reopen as GIANT at 8 a.m. Sunday. The store, which includes an expanded kosher selection according to GIANT, will host several small giveaways on Sunday.
GIANT Food Stores announced the purchase of 16 Genuardi's stores in January. The sale was approved by the Federal Trade Commission in mid-June, and shortly thereafter, GIANT began the process of transitioning the 15 stores.
"With the remodels, key departments such as produce, bakery, deli, meat and seafood have been updated to provide a clean look along with an improved infrastructure to bring added quality, selection and savings to customers," a GIANT press release states.
GIANT says it has dramatically increased the variety of the produce department. Additionally, more than 2,500 frozen, dairy, grocery, gluten-free, and special diet selections will be available, the release states.
The Wynnewood store will feature an expanded kosher selection as well, according to GIANT.
"The Wynnewood store, under the supervision of the Community Kashrus of Greater Philadelphia, features an expanded kosher grocery selection, with more than 1,000 new items in the meat, deli, seafood and bakery departments. Among the new items include Pareve birthday and special occasion cakes in the kosher bakery and kosher fried chicken for a meal ready option," the release states.
The Wynnewood store will also include a pharmacy.
The grand opening giveaways are as follows:
- The first 200 customers will receive a six-pack of GIANT brand English Muffins and a GIANT reusable shopping bag.
- The first 500 customers who check out will receive a free loaf of Sara Lee bread.
- Wynnewood Genuardi's Closes July 5, Reopens as Giant July 15 (June 21, 2012)
- Giant's Purchase of 15 Genuardi's Approved by FTC (June 15, 2012)
- Giant: Genuardi's Purchase Could Be Final in 'Coming Weeks' (June 13, 2012)
- Still No Timeline for Giant's Genuardi's Takeover (June 11, 2012)
- Genuardi's Employees Say They're Being Kept in the Dark (January 11, 2012)
- GIANT Buys 16 Genuardi's Locations (January 5, 2012)
- Rumors Swirl About Potential Genuardi's Sale (November 1, 2011)