Wynnewood Genuardi's Closes July 5, Reopens as Giant July 15
Giant Food Stores begins its conversion of 15 Genuardi's stores on June 29.
The Genuardi's supermarket in Wynnewood will close for the last time on July 5, and reopen July 15 as a Giant.
Giant Food Stores announced Thursday, June 21 that it will begin the conversion of 15 former Genuardi’s Family Markets in the greater Philadelphia area on June 29 to Giant Food Stores.
During the conversion process, five stores at a time will temporarily close for about a week. The three-phase staggered approach is expected to be completed on July 22. The Wynnewood store, located in the Wynnewood Shopping Center, will close July 5 at 6 p.m. and re-open July 15th at 8 a.m. as a Giant.
The converted stores will receive updated refrigeration systems, improved lighting and new signage, according to Giant. All 15 stores will also be cleaned and painted.
The Federal Trade Commission approved Giant's acquisition of 15 Genuardi's stores, including the one in Wynnewood, on June 15.
According to the supermarket chain, Giant will hire approximately 900 part-time associates in addition to the 1,700 former Genuardi's employees being retained.
Many of the remaining items in the Wynnewood store are deeply discounted, as Genuardi's sells off its remaining inventory.
- Giant's Purchase of 15 Genuardi's Approved by FTC (June 15, 2012)
- Giant: Genuardi's Purchase Could Be Final in 'Coming Weeks' (June 13, 2012)
- Still No Timeline for Giant's Genuardi's Takeover (June 11, 2012)
- Genuardi's Employees Say They're Being Kept in the Dark (January 11, 2012)
- GIANT Buys 16 Genuardi's Locations (January 5, 2012)
- Rumors Swirl About Potential Genuardi's Sale (November 1, 2011)