A pot left unattended on a stove caused a fire in an Ardmore apartment at 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, said Lower Merion Fire Chief Charles McGarvey.
The fire at 29 E. Lancaster Ave. spread to the cabinets above the stove, but the sprinklers went off and saved the building, McGarvey said. The building, which includes six apartments above Fellini Cafe, is an old one, he said.
"Had it not been for the sprinkler, we'd probably still be there," McGarvey said. "We could have lost some lives."
Though there was not much fire damage, there is water damage from the second floor down to the basement, McGarvey added. In addition to water damage, several code violations were found at Fellini Cafe, and the restaurant will remain closed until it is brought back up to code, he said.
The Merion Fire Co. of Ardmore and the Bryn Mawr Fire Co. responded to the scene, along with the Lower Merion Fire Dept. and Narberth Ambulance, McGarvey said. Fire companies remained on scene until 12:11 a.m., and fire marshals were there until 1:39 a.m.
One firefighter sustained a minor injury after slipping down some steps but is OK, McGarvey said. There were no other injuries.