With its property sold and plans to turn the school into an apartment complex before the Lower Merion Planning Commission, Palmer Seminary may be down to its last semester in Wynnewood.
Palmer's 7.6 acre property has two buildings: Laws Chapel, built in 1951, and Palmer Hall, built in 1919, which was originally a hotel before the seminary moved onto the property in 1940. Now, the space contains classrooms, meeting rooms, and a number of apartments, many rented by seminary students.
Both buildings were added to the Lower Merion Township's Historical Resource Inventory on Nov. 16, 2011, and on Dec. 15, 2011, were placed on the National Register of Historic Places, according to a Lower Merion Department of Building and Planning document.
Take a look inside Palmer's buildings and around its grounds in the photo gallery above.
The new owners plan to build 132 apartments on the site, as well as a pool and patio. No changes are proposed for the exterior of the building that would affect its historical character, the planning document states.