The holiday season often reminds us to count our blessings, and encourages us to pay it forward by giving to those in need. Here are a few local places to donate both new and used clothing, along with goods and food, all of which go to a good cause.
Donate Gently Used Clothing (And Other Goods):
- Nearly New Consignment Shop: The proceeds for this University of Pennsylvania-run thrift shop benefit the Pennsylvania Medical Women's League. The shop accepts gently used or never used clothing during store hours: Tue – Fri, 9:30 a.m. – 3:45 p.m.; Sat, 9:30 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.
- Browse Around Thrift Shop - Proceeds support the work of the Missionary Sisters of the Holy Rosary, who help the poor in Africa, South and North America and Europe. Furniture, jewelry, gently used clothing and knicknacks are accepted during store hours: Monday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Junior League Thrift Shop – Proceeds go toward the Junior League of Philadelphia, a nonprofit that supports various community projects and scholarships for Philadephia area high school students. Lightly used home goods, electronics and clothing for men, women and children are accepted Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Store hours are Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Pennywise Thrift Shop – Proceeds benefit the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. Clothing, collectibles and homegoods can be dropped off during store hours at the back of the store: Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Saturday, 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- The Career Wardrobe – The Career Wardobe is a nonprofit based in Philadelphia that provides gently used professional clothing to low-income women transitioning into the workforce. All women's professional clothing is needed, and especially sizes 0-2 and 16+. For more information on what the center accepts and when, visit the organization's website.
Donate Food, Toys and Goods:
- Ardmore Food Pantry – St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Ardmore works year-round to provide food to the needy in the area, and the pantry is always in need of nonperishable food items. Hours of operation are Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and Thursdays from 6 to 8 p.m. For more information, check out the pantry's website for a list of needed items, contact Ruth Johnson at email@example.com, or call the church office at 610-649-1486.
- Aid for Friends – Aid for Friends is an organization serving needy, elderly shut-ins in the Greater Philadelphia area. Those the organization serves receive free daily meals, and while there are many volunteer opportunities for those willing to cook, drive or spend time with elderly area residents, Aid for Friends also accepts food and clothing donations. Right now, they are desperately in need of canned food items, according to their website. For more information, contact Aid for Friends at 215-464-2224.
- Tommy's Gifts for Kids – This Upper Darby-based organization is located less than 15 minutes from Ardmore. Its goal is to make sure that "there's a new toy waiting for every boy and girl" immediately after receiving a chemotherapy treatment at A.I. DuPont Hospital in Wilmington, Delaware. The organization collects toys valued at $5-10 and also accepts PayPal donations. For more information, visit their website.
Check back later this week for a list of local organizations where you can donate your time in the holiday season or year-round.