No Firm Plans Yet For LA Fitness, Bargain Books
LA Fitness was granted zoning approval to occupy the Borders building in Wynnewood Shopping Center earlier this year.
A representative of Federal Realty Investment Trust, the owners of Wynnewood Shopping Center, said this week that they have nothing firm to announce yet regarding a lease with LA Fitness, which had expressed interest in opening a 24/7 "upscale, signature" fitness center in the old Borders building.
Federal Realty and LA Fitness spent more than six months in discussion with neighboring civic associations and Lower Merion's Zoning Hearing Board, culminating in the Zoning Hearing Board's decision in January that LA Fitness would be permitted to occupy the Borders building, but with significantly reduced hours.
When asked this week about the details of Bargain Book Warehouse's lease agreement and the state of a lease agreement with LA Fitness, Federal Realty Marketing Manager Lisa Geiger said the company had no details to give.
"We are still working through things with nothing firm to announce. At this point in time, Bargain Books is expected to continue operating at Wynnewood Shopping Center," Geiger said.
Employees at Bargain Book Warehouse told Patch they were unaware of LA Fitness taking over their location and said they were also unaware of any move-out date planned by the bargain bookstore.
Read more about LA Fitness and Bargain Book Warehouse:
- Wynnewood LA Fitness Project Moves Ahead (Jan. 11, 2013)
- Bargain Bookstore Moves Into Borders Space (Nov. 9, 2012)
- Wynnewood's Old Borders Space: What Should Move In? (Aug. 15, 2012)
- LA Fitness Hearing Postponed (July 25, 2012)
- LA Fitness Eyes Wynnewood Shopping Center For Upscale, 'Signature' Gym (July 13, 2012)
- Vacated Borders Wynnewood to Re-Open as Furniture Outlet (Nov. 18, 2011)
- Borders Goes Dark Friday (Sept. 16, 2011)
- Wynnewood Borders to Close, Leaving Behind 40 Jobs, Vacant Anchor Store (July 19, 2011)