Get Out: Memorial Day Weekend in Ardmore
What's going on in the Ardmore, Merion, Wynnewood and Haverford area this upcoming three-day weekend.
Ahh—a three-day weekend. If you're not spending Memorial Day tanning and eating hamburgers, consider the following round-up of this weekend's activities.
Also check out our Memorial Day guide, which explains the what-who-where of various Memorial Day ceremonies being held across the region.
- When/Where: Friday, May 25 at 7 p.m. at the gazebo at 9 S Bryn Mawr Ave, Bryn Mawr
- Why Go: Grab a blanket and a picnic dinner and relax to the music of Beats Walkin' at Bryn Mawr's Twilight Concert on Friday night. Openers by Chris Zurich and New West.
- Cost: Donation is $10 per person, children ages 16 and under are free.
- When/Where: Begins at 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 26 and runs 24/7 through Monday evening
- Why Go: For those in our area who are not diametrically opposed to the Barnes collection's move to the Parkway, this upcoming weekend features 56 straight hours of free access to the collection in Philadelphia. Activities include coffee tastings, midnight to 6 a.m. film showings, dance performances, horticulture and art lectures, and more. View the full schedule here.
- Cost: Free
- When/Where: Friday, May 25, at 9:30 p.m., at Springfield Inn, 417 Baltimore Pike in Springfield
- Why Go: Kickoff the unofficial start to summer with DJ Rick Lesley, dancing, drinks and food.
- Cost: $8
Morning River Band at MilkBoy
- When/Where: 8 p.m. on Friday, May 25 at MilkBoy Coffee in Ardmore, 2 E. Lancaster Ave.
- Cost: $10
Jim's Big Ego at MilkBoy
- When/Where: 8 p.m. on Saturday, May 26 at MilkBoy Coffee in Ardmore, 2 E. Lancaster Ave.
- Cost: $12
- When/Where: May 24 through June 3 at Devon Horse Show & Country Fair, Lancaster Ave. and Dorset Rd. in Devon
- Why Go: Enjoy horse show events like jumping classes and then beyond the competition in the ring, fair goers can enjoy the usual fair faire and special Devon favorites, such as lemon sticks and Devon fudge.
- Cost: $10 for adults, $5 for children
- When/Where: 11 a.m. on Sunday, May 27 at Chabad of Penn Wynne, 45 Haverford Rd., Wynnewood
- Why Go: Join Chabad of Penn Wynne for a reading of the 10 Commandments, followed by an ice cream party. "Shavuot, celebrated this year May 26 to 28, marks the anniversary of the day when we received the Torah at Mount Sinai," Chabad Penn Wynne explains.
- Cost: Free
Bike Decorating at Linwood Park
- When/Where: Sunday, May 27 from 4 to 6 p.m. at Linwood Park, E Athens Ave. and Linwood Ave. in Ardmore
- Why Go: Do your kids want to ride their bikes in Ardmore's Memorial Day Parade? Linwood Park is hosting a bike decorating party on Sunday. Bike riders will then meet in front of the Merion Fire Company of Ardmore firehouse at 10 a.m. before the parade on Monday.
- Cost: Free
- When: Monday, May 28 in Ardmore (see description for times and places)
- What: Starting off with a performance by the Merion Concert Band at Lancaster and Argyle Avenues, the parade will leave Greenfield Avenue at 10:30 a.m. and work its way to St. Paul’s Cemetery for an 11:15 a.m. memorial service. The parade will include Lower Merion volunteer fire companies, the Historical Car Club of PA and a variety of drill teams.
What are you up to this weekend? Did we miss an activity? Tell us in the comments.