10th Case of West Nile Found In Lower Merion
Another mosquito tested positive for the virus in Wynnewood on Aug. 16.
A 10th case of West Nile Virus has been found in Lower Merion, according to recently released statistics from the PA West Nile Virus Program. The mosquito sample, collected near Shortridge and Remington Road in Wynnewood, tested positive for the virus on Aug. 16, according to Montgomery County communications officer Frank Custer.
This case is the first positive case reported in Lower Merion since late July. On July 24, five positive mosquito samples were reported, and the Montgomery County Department of Health subsequently sprayed residential areas of Wynnewood for the second time this summer. The WNV-positive mosquito was discovered in an area of Wynnewood that had already been sprayed to kill the adult mosquito population.
No positive human or bird cases of West Nile Virus have been reported in Lower Merion this year, according to the program statistics. Two positive human cases of West Nile were reported in an undisclosed part of Delaware County on Aug. 13. Since then, human cases of West Nile Virus have also been reported in Centre, Lehigh (2), Lebanon, Bucks, Philadephia, Luzerne and Chester counties, according to PA West Nile Virus Program statistics. A person who contracted West Nile Virus in Luzerne County has died, the state reported Monday.
Custer said it is not yet known whether more mosquito sprays will be conducted in Wynnewood.
Find out more about West Nile Virus in Lower Merion Township:
- 5 More West Nile Virus Cases Found in Lower Merion (July 30, 2012)
- DEP: West Nile Virus Spreads in MontCo, 10 Communities Affected (July 24, 2012)
- MontCo To Spray Mosquitoes In Wynnewood, Penn Wynne (July 12, 2012)
- Test Finds Lower Merion's 4th West Nile Virus Case In Penn Wynne (July 11, 2012)
- Third Case of West Nile Found in Lower Merion (July 10, 2012)
- Symptoms and Treatment of West Nile Virus (June 26, 2012)
- Tips for Avoiding West Nile This Summer (June 25, 2012)
- Second Case of West Nile Found in Wynnewood (June 25, 2012)
- West Nile Virus Found in Wynnewood Mosquitoes (June 22, 2012)